Monday, August 16, 2010

Rava Kesari /Suji ka Halwa


Ingredients:
Rava - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 3/4 cup
Elaichi -6
Cashew nuts - 8-10
Raisins - 1 tblsp
Saffron - a pinch
Water - 2 cups
Kesari powder - less than a 1/4 tsp
Method:
Powder the elaichi.
Break the cashew nuts into small pieces.
Fry the nuts and raisins in 1 Tblsp of ghee till the nuts turn brown.
Pour 2 tblsps of ghee in the kadai and fry the rava to a golden colour.
Add 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water and ensure that no lumps are formed and cook for some time.
When it is cooked,add the sugar and continue to stir and add the saffron and mix well.
Now add the kesari powder and mix well.
Add the rest of the ghee in small quantities and stir for some more time.
Now add 3/4 of the fried nuts and raisins as well as the elaichi powder and mix well.
Transfer the halwa on to a bowl and garnish with the rest of the nuts and raisins.
Now the Rava Kesari is ready to be eaten hot.
It is our custom to prepare Rava Kesari (Suji Halwa) for all auspicious occasions since every one likes and relishes it. Even in our Temples this halwa is always prepared as a prasadam for God and given to the people. This is a very popular sweet.


20 comments:

  1. Yummy kesari..one of my fav...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey its my favorite too ...halwa looks sooo tempting

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this..Got to make this sometimes soon..Thanks for reminding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hands down, my favorite dessert that can be made in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats my fav rawa dish. can finis a big bowlful in no time. looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love rava kesari, my atthai makes more often. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my most fav halwas...looks too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suji halwa...a dish I love. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy, it is my favorite too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy .... one of my all time favorites !!!

    - Smita
    @Little Food Junction

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made it too! But with pineapple. The first time. It was quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my!! this looks so delicious..!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice and simple recipe. Halwa looks delicious and tempting.

    ReplyDelete